Friday, September 19, 2008

My 70s Room

I haven't been posting much lately becasue I've been working on my 70s display room. Back in February my second roommate just up an vanished. So I spent the next couple of months cleaning out his room. Since his room is right next to mine and is only separated by sliding doors, I opened them up. Now the room has become the room where I display all of the 70s stuff that I've collected over the years. I think the pictures speak for themselves.

Now these are not the final pictures because I've added more to the room but you get a general idea.
This is the main door into the room. No, that is not the famous Farrah poster. It is a rug of the famous Farrah poster. There were rugs, beanbag chairs and numerous other things produced in the 70s with that famous picture of Farrah on them.

The white Owl was my mother's. She bought it at a flea market in about 1975 or so. It hung on our livingroom wall until she redid the livingroom and then it became mine.

The frog clock above the door is quite the conversation piece. When I first saw it on eBay I couldn't stop laughing. I thought it was the ugliest clock that I've ever seen. I just had to have it.

Next to the door are my Sonny & Cher dolls from Mego. Also the Suzanne Somers doll from Mego.

The man on the wall is Rock Pamplin. Playgirl's Man of the Month for May 1976. He went on to be Man of the First Five Years and he also did some model work for COLT Studios in the late 70s.
Now this picture shows one of those great fuzzy goofy foot rugs. It took me years and years to find one of these. This one is actually a promo item from Green Giant foods. You had to send away to get it. I'm sure that there are not many of these left floating around these days.
Of course the obligatory Star Wars bedsheets being used as curtains.
Love those patchwork suede floppy hats.
There are two pair of unused Starsky & Hutch knee socks.
And lots of fabulous platform shoes.
The belts and the purse that are haning there were my mother's and yes, she did actually were them.
The big white thing with the mushroom on it is a trash can. Fabulous!
I really love the keyhole mirror on the wall and the owl clock with the little owls. Too cute.

While it is hard to see, the record album haning there is the third album from the Brady Bunch called The Kids From The Brady Bunch. This is an Austrailian pressing of the album with what I consider to be a much better cover than the US version.

On the floor is my Kenner Millenium Falcon and Deathstar Space Station playset.

The magazines on the top of the bokkshelf are every issue of Playgirl Magazine from the 1st issue in June of 73 all the way to January 1980.

Next to the Playgirls on the left is a BC cookie jar from Marathon gas stations. On the other side is a great flowered chip and dip bowl.
A better shot of theowl clock.

Yes, that is my Kenner X-wing fighter hanging from the ceiling.

On the shelf are my Mego Jaclyn Smith and Farrah dolls. Below that is the only single that Farrah ever sang on. With a picture sleeve.

On the speaker are my large size C-3PO and R2-D2 figures along with the R2-D2 cookie jar.

My Ronco Rhinestone and Stud setter is on the floor under the white donut phone.

And the really fun and cool smiley face trash can.

Of course another Star Wars bedsheet being used as a curtain.

There's just too much stuff on those shelves to mention so I'll just bring up the highlights.

There are two dolls on the top shelf. Disco Wanda and Gay Bob.

There is also a bottle of Farrah shampoo and conditoiner.
The lady speed styler hair dryer with Farrah on the box. Yes, the dryer is 100% complete and it works. Well, it doesn't heat up but it still blows air.

A boxed pair of vintage Earth Shoes.

The comlete sets for the Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica glasses.

A whole shelf of vintage Burger Chef things including all four King Kong glasses.

I just love that Love clock.

The contact paper behind everthing in the center is made up of flowers and the word 'love' all over it. I have a 50 foot rool of the stuff. No, I did not stick it to the wall there. I pinned it up.
The ice bucket in the very center is really cool.

The fish on top of the stereo is what I think is the tackiest thing in the entire room. It was a gift to my mother in 1975 and it used to have live plants in it. It just shows how much my father lacked in taste when it came to gifts.

On each side of the stereo are Cher's Travel Trucks with several Mego Cher outfits for the dolls. Also Cher's Dressing Room playset is there and the Sonny & Cher Theatre In The Round playset.

The four cases on the left are every Kenner Star Wars action figure they produced until 1985 when the line was discontinued.
More stuff that is too numerous to mention.

Lots and lots of really cool things.

The Fonzie record on the wall is called Fonzie's 50s Favorites. I found it still sealed at a flea market. You can punch out part of the back to make it stand up like a framed photograph.

The McCoy Smiley Face cookie jar and bank are on the speaker.

While you can't see it very will, on the bottom shelf is a Jackson 5 game and a pair of Disco Slip-On roller skates. These were like old fashioned sidewalk skates except these are blue plastic and have these great Disco strap pads on them.

Also, there are one of those obnoxious fuzzy dog kleenex box covers. Had to have one of those.
On the floor there is one of my mushroom footstools.

My Battlestar Galactica game.

My favorite toy as a child, the Fisher Price Play Family Castle. 100% complete and working. This thing brought me hours of fun as a kid.

A vintage Free Former skateboard.

A Fozzy Bear hand puppet from 1978.

Of course a lava lamp.

On the table are my Steve Austin, Oscar Goldman and Jamie Sommers dolls. All complete which is surprising considering how much my sister and I used to play with these. They are in really good condition for their age.
Here's a better shot of the dolls on the table.

A Farrah and Smiley face pillow on the bottom and a really cool orange beanbag telephone.

Also my second mushroom footstool.

My Matchbox 78 car case from when I was a kid. Yes, it is filled with vintage 70s Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars.
The doll on the wall is the Jill Monroe Charlies Angles doll. Can you tell yet that I am a big Farrah fan?

The black hoop with a lemon on the end is the Whammo Lemon Twist toy. I got one of these for my 10th birthday in 1976. I loved it but the dog got a hold of it and chewed it up. I was tickled to death when I finally found one on eBay. And it only cost me $3.00 plus shipping.
All of the records on the foor (starting with the prevoius two pictures) are my 70s Disco records collection. I have at least 150 albums and 12" singles from about 1973 to 1980. All 100% Disco.
There are the Star Wars Escape From Deathstar and Charlies Angels (with Farrah on the box) games.

All of the plant hangers are vintage 70s. There are no plants in them because the plants I had died. I'm not good with plants and never have been.

I really love the pink plastic swag lamp. That was a must have when I found it on eBay.

You can't see them very well, but there are a pair of red, white and blue Bicentenial sunglasses that have Gerald Ford on them. They have chains that you drape over your ears and it looks like you are wearing a pair of Ford earrings. Trully tacky.
On the shelf are my Mego Diana Ross and Captain and Tennille dolls.

This tiny space below the shelf is perhaps my favorite part of the room.
From the round Disco Infinity light to the silver platform shoes, just the entire way it came together I think is really cool. To me, it looks so Disco. I can't explain why, but that is what it reminds me of. Disco.

Next to the book shelf is the last of the Disco records.

The bookshelf contains all of me 70s TV shows on DVD. I have watched at least 90% of them. I'm a little behind but getting caught up.
The black candle holders on the shelf belonged to my cousin. She got them in 1974, I think.

Yes, that is a framed poster of Burt Reynolds Cosmo Centerfold.

Several fun things on the shelves.
Sabrina, Kelly and Kris Charlies Angels dolls.
A really cool green flowered desk set.

A vintage Matel Big Jim doll.

Next to the bookcase are a pair of Addis Running shoes like Starsky used to wear.

The records on the right are some really fun 70s records like all of the Partridge Family and Brady Bunch records. The Banana Splits album. All of the Krofft show albums that were available (Sigmund & The Sea Monsters, The Bugaloos, Kaptain Kool & The Kongs and the Pufnstuf Movie soundtrack). Lots of good stuff.


And with this picture we have come full circle around the room.

The rest of the pictures are of the center of the room. This is the sitting area of the room. A denim beanbag chair and several large pillows surround a 70s palstic Parson table.

On the table are the ever present plastic grapes, coasters and ashtrays.

Think of the circle from That 70s Show and you pretty much get the idea for this area of the room.

The next picture is a better shot of the small bookcase. On the bookshelf are every Sears Catalog from 1970-79 including all of the Christmas catalogs.

The complete set of Matel Battlestar Galacitca action figures.
My sister's 70s Barbie dolls.

Then there is a shot of the ceiling with the smiley face light cover and the Kenner Darth Vader Tie Fighter. My other Tie Fighter is also hanging from the ceiling and I think it shows up in a previous pictire.

And last but not least a real good close up of my platform shoes. Yes, I used to wear these. I love each and every pair of them. I wish I could still wear them. They were too much fun.
Quite a lot of love and work (not to mention money) went into the creation of this room. And just think, I've added a lot more stuff to it since I took these pictures. Just imagine what it must look like now.






























2 comments:

UltraFixtion said...

These are some of the COOLEST 70s pics I have ever seen. I had been googling my gourd off to find a photo of the footprint rug when I came across your blog. OMG those shoes bring back the memories and I'm a guy!. I can't tell you how many pairs of five color stacks I had back in the day along with those ever cool zip up ankle boots. Remember the big balloon sleeve paisley shirts, corduroy & plaid bell bottoms? Smiley faces, peace signs and ecology flags forever. I want my Thingmaker, Lava Lamp and Evil Knievel doll right now! Thanks for the wonderful flashback!

Corwin said...

Awesome! What a great collection - wish I had a room to fit just my 70s stuff - I have a room filled with comic book / sci-fi stuff but would love another dedicated to the 70s. Hey, I don't see too much Bicentennial memorabilia! But, I'm sure you have a C.W McCall album in there somewhere..